This online course is designed so that participants can explore the concept of sustainability with specific emphasis on the role of education and the use of systems thinking to enhance student learning. The aim of the course is for participants to leave with a deeper understanding of sustainability and skills in using systems thinking tools in their teaching in order to contribute to the transformation of schools towards educating for a sustainable future.
Looking for other PD opportunities with us? click hereCompass Education Level 1: Thinking, Learning & Acting for a Flourishing & Sustainable World
This course is the first of a two levels of certification and certifies the participant as a Compass Education Level 1 “Compass Practitioner”.
What is the course about?
Many educators aim to build knowledge, skills and dispositions that will instill global citizenship in their students and educational communities. Compass Education offers an easy-to-use yet transformative approach to learning. Course participants will gain practical tools and methods to immediately incorporate into their teaching practices and spheres of influence within their school. Participants will leave with a deeper understanding of sustainability, a greater awareness of their own systems contexts, skills in using systems thinking tools and the ability to successfully incorporate and align sustainability with existing curriculum. Whether you’re running a school or facilitating a conversation this course is for you!
As a result of taking this course, participants will participate in interactive learning that will instruct on how to:
- Discuss the imperative for sustainability education.
- Identify sustainability dispositions and examine their compatibility with personal educational philosophy and institutional values.
- Understand the Compass as a whole system thinking tool supporting sustainability habits of mind.
- Explore the educational uses of systems thinking tools (behavior over time graphs, closed loop diagrams and the Iceberg Model).
- Examine how sustainability perspectives and systems thinking tools can be integrated into teaching and learning.
- Adapt unit/lesson plans to integrate sustainability perspectives and systems thinking tools.
Who is the course for?
Educators & Administrators everywhere, at any level, in any discipline!
What’s in it for me?
In addition to extremely useful tools, powerful conversations and practical analysis of their own educational setting, participants who fulfill the requirements will receive a Compass Education Level 1 “Compass Practitioner” certification.
This is the first of two levels of certification offered by Compass Education that could result in becoming a certified Compass trainer! Recognition of 30 hours of CEUs are available through Antioch University, Seattle (pending), or one (1) SUNY Buffalo State graduate credit is available.
When can I take this course?
- February 6 – March 19, 2017
- April 3 – May 14, 2017
How much does it cost?
US$209 (for certification and CEUs)
US$299 (including SUNY, Buffalo State Credit)
Compass Education Level 2: Applying Systems Thinking for Sustainability School Transformation